04 Oct Oxcars Lighthouse
Source: Maclean Photographic
The Oxcars lighthouse in the Firth of Forth is situated in the shipping channel between the islands of Inchcolm and Inchmickery to guide ships safely up the Forth river towards Rosyth, Grangemouth and the oil and gas terminals closer to the islands.
The lighthouse was built in 1886 by Thomas and David Stevenson and became the first automated lighthouse in Scotland when the two lighthouse keepers were withdrawn in 1894.
The light was operated using gas delivered weekly from Granton Gasworks on the mainland and controlled by a clockwork timer to turn the light as required. An attending boatman delivered the gas and wound up the timer each week.
The images here were taken from the Maid of the Forth during the trip to Inchcolm last Saturday. The shot at the top of the page was taken during the trip to the island and is looking east down the coast towards East Lothian.